Thursday, May 19, 2016

Shoe make over

I've been busy with work and other things lately and have neglected this blog. Sorry about that.

However I did have time this week to do or start several projects. I wasn't very good at taking pictures of it.

Have you ever wanted to challenge yourself, give yourself something generic and basic and make it look cool? That's probably just me.

I got some white canvas shoes to make a certain project. I've been wanting to make for a while, but I got the wrong type of shoes and instead of returning them (because that's always so impossible). I decided to fix them up and make them look swag. Sorry I won't say that again.


What I used:
Canvas shoes- (your size) They don't have to be canvas that's just what I got.
Spray paint or acrylic paint
Pyramid studs- (With or without prongs. I use the ones without prongs for shoes.)


Part 1
Take your shoe laces out you won't be needing them for a while.



You can use Spray paint or acrylic I used a durable outdoor waterproof spraypaint so I wouldn't have to worry about the paint washing off if it rained. It did make the shoes very stiff though. So if you want to avoid that you may want to use acrylic and cover it with a waterproof seal.

I taped over the inside and the tongue of the shoe and taped over the inside of the eyes so there wouldn't be spots on the inside. I did about 3 or 4 coats of paint to make sure it was well covered. (It was probably too much, but this whole project was very experimental.) After it was dry I painted the tongue with acrylic paint and did touch ups.


Part 2
Left with solid black shoes, very different looking from the old lady shoes I started out with, the next step would be decorating.

There are types of pyramid studs, with prongs, and without. At first I tried to use the ones with prongs. I haven't actually been able to figure out something to use them for until now. It didn't work very well however since all I did was try to stick them into the shoe and didn't glue it or anything. Since that type didn't work I heated up my glue gun and attached the non-prong kind instead.


Part 3
All you have to do now is let it all dry and put the shoelaces in.

 I didn't have a lot of studs otherwise I probably would have done more.

Here's the finished product!





Mine are a little stiff but hopefully that will go away once I wear them and break them in. Be careful about getting them wet though. I'm not sure how well they'll hold up in the rain or anything wet. If you want to coat them in a protective seal then they'll probably be okay.







No comments:

Post a Comment