Friday, December 11, 2015

Advent Calendars

In hindsight this is a very difficult project. The boys love it, but I probably won't be making this again next year. You can make it a family tradition.

Anyway, I think it's time for some Christmas-y projects. I didn't even know this kind of thing existed until I saw a video and someone had one. It's an Advent Calendar that you can tear open the compartments and get a little treat.

Box tear open Advent Calendar


I was instantly inspired to create my own since the store bought kind are expensive. I'm not even sure where you can buy them. So DIY-ing is the way to go for me.


You'll need:
2 Cereal boxes (12 days per box)
Contact paper
Thin cardboard
Duct tape
Clear tape
Sewing perforating tool
Candy (optional)
A lot of patience



The candy is optional depending on what you want to put in your calendar.


Measure the dimensions of your box and cut out your cardboard accordingly. Once you have two long pieces and four short ones make notches in the cardboard halfway through each piece where they should connect. Duct tape the bottom one on. Trace the sections onto a piece of paper.

Basically what I'm trying to say is do this.


Make sure it fits into your box. 

We have a tradition of doing little Christmas things almost everyday in December leading up to Christmas. So I put in little slips of paper that say what we're going to be doing each day. Along with a Bible verse for each day. I also put in a couple of pieces of candy for the boys.

Before putting everything in your box you need to decorate it. I used two layers of plain white contact paper. Then Using the paper I traces the sections on I drew three sided squares where the openings for each day are. 

(Make sure to use Sharpies for decorating since anything else will wipe off or smudge really badly.)

Slowly row by row put your cardboard grid into the box adding the items for each row as you go. Don't shake the box or turn it upside down or drop it or anything or the things inside might get mixed into other sections. 

Once you've put the goodies into the box make sure the sections and straight with your lines you can perforate the sections. I only did three sides so the fourth could be a sort of hinge.

Make sure to keep your numbers/days straight. That means what's labeled has to match what is inside that section. 

Like I said before this is a complicated project, but so rewarding the boys love it and beg to tear open the Advent Calendar everyday. I still probably won't be making another of these next year. I'm going to look for an equally affordable yet easier version.








No comments:

Post a Comment