Monday, September 28, 2015

Denim Shorts

One of the trends I haven't bought into yet is denim shorty shorts. Now this particular trend has been around a while, but I wasn't sure I could pull it off so I never bothered trying. Until now.

I had an old pair of jeans I was going to get rid of. I started to have second thoughts about donating them. I like to update things, and was there nothing I could do to make them wearable? I've seen so many pins on Pinterest about turning old jeans into shorts. Why not give it a try? So here it how I did it!


You'll need:
Jeans
sandpaper (optional)
X-acto knife
box cutter


First I started with-obviously-a pair of jeans. I would definitely use an old pair for this project because the whole point is to make them look rough so I wouldn't waste a good pair.

I cut my jeans just above the knee to make sure I had plenty to work with. Then put them on. The extremely helpful tutorial I used said you could roll them up. You should try messing around with it, they may look better shorter around the outside of your leg. Play with it and once you get it how you want it use a sharpie or a marker to make a line on the inside of the jeans for where to cut them.

Take them off and cut the marked line. Trim them if necessary, but if there are pieces that are a little jagged or rough. You can leave them they'll add to the look.

Next you'll need the sand-paper. This step is optional since it does add to the effect, but it takes a while and a lot of elbow grease to get any progress. Basically sand a couple of spots where you want holes.

Then put cardboard in the leg to make sure the cuts don't go through to the back of the leg. (Also make sure the pockets are out of the way so you don't get a lot of holes in them.) Use and X-acto knife around the legs to make little cuts and splits. The X-acto knife won't make a huge difference. Feel free to go crazy.

Now for the box cutter. Be very careful with this one because they are sharp. Make two long cuts on the front of the shorts parallel to the leg opening about a half-inch from the bottom edge. Make sure to use the cardboard in between your surfaces. The whole point of this is to have unique fraying designs so you don't want it to be the same on the front and the back.

You can do little frays here and there on the top edge of the pockets or on the belt loops or whatever you want.

Once you're happy with your shorts that's it. You're done!










No comments:

Post a Comment